02 March 2013

*UPDATED* Windows 8

I got the opportunity to get Windows 8 Pro on my computer for $15.81 instead of the usual $199. So that's what I'm doing right now. I will put my first impressions, etc. on this post. Here we go!


Installation Process:

Installation was as easy as a 2gb download and a few questions. Microsoft has made Windows 8 much more fluid and behind-the-scenes than Windows 7. The whole process took around an hour. After restarting a few times, Windows greeted me simply with the word "Hi." in the middle of the screen. I thought that was a nice touch. It did a quick, 15-20 second tutorial on how to get around in the new UI, and after that I was off to the races. 

UI & Experience:

I know I've criticized Windows 8 before for being too separated, as if you were running two different OS's at the same time. But this seems to be working quite fluidly. It carries the square, sharp-edged motif past the new start screen and it overflows into the desktop.
UPDATE:
Wow. I have to say, after using this for a while, it is truly beautiful. There is nothing superfluous or bulky about the Windows 8 interface. Very clean, very slick, and it's easy to use once you get the hang of it. I've heard some people complain about moving around in the Start Screen and its assortment of apps, because they think that since there is no touch interface to drag with, you have to click and drag with the mouse. Nope. Use the scroll wheel. It works quite nicely. 

Start Screen:

The collection of apps is very nice as well. For instance, right now I have my weather, Engadget feed (a must-have), Netflix, Youtube, and Google Search right there. It's like using widgets in Android. All your info is right there in front of you. Everything I need is just a click away. I might actually end up using the Start Screen more than the Desktop... 

More to come soon!

8 comments:

  1. You don't have a touch screen, do you? Frankly I wouldn't touch Windows 8 sans-touch-screen with a ten foot pole. The operating system was designed with touch screens, not just in mind, but as the primary venue for the OS. With a touch screen I love it, but without I found it to be very awkward and difficult to use. Maybe if I spent more time with it I would change my mind...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the exact same thing... Before I tried it. As much as it physically pains me to say an Apple catchphrase, "It just works." (Oh, dear. What has become of me?)

      Delete
    2. Seth! Quoting Apple!!

      My sister got a Windows 8 laptop, and I have used it a bit. I miss the start menu.
      The laptop has given her trouble updating and shutting down. It will sit for hours saying "Shutting Down." I do not like Windows 8 at all.

      Delete
    3. Odd. Sounds like more of a hardware issue than a software issue. I might be able to take a look at it sometime.

      Delete
  2. What I don't like is the 2 step process to shut it down, (sign out, then shut down).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I just use the power button on my computer now :P

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Good idea. It's a lot of fun. And definitely better than mac os.

      Delete