21 August 2015

I'm a Totally Legit College Student, guys.

I'm all moved in here at college. The boxes have been unpacked, the knick knacks are arranged, and far too many extension cords and power strips have been plugged in.

I feel a bit like an impostor here. Like it's my assignment as an alien from outer space to assume the role of a College Student. I find myself checking in the mirror, "Do I look like a College Student?What about my Books? How exactly should I carry them? Are my Backpack Straps adjusted properly for optimum College?"

Passes students in the hall. Nods politely. "Hello, Fellow Human College Students!"

Anyway...

Information Overload 

That's another thing going through my head at the moment. I'm running all over the place to meetings and orientations and presentations where the goal is to gain an understanding of College Life and What to Expect. There's a lot to process all at once, but I'm sifting through it, filing away papers as best I can and making lots of notes and lists.

Culture Shock

Things you're not told at college:


  • When to wake up
  • Whether to shower in the morning or evening (though showering at some point is required)
  • How long to spend brushing your teeth
  • How long to spend studying your homework
This is new for me... I mean, I'm an Adult. Which means I'm responsible for those decisions. When I'm not at College I live at home with my parents, because I'm poor. So there's some immediate accountability there.  But here at College, it's a little bit different kind of responsibility. I'm adjusting to that slowly. 

The School Part of Things

That's what honestly scares me a bit. I haven't been in study mode for at least a year and a half. But on Monday I'm jumping right into College Level Academics. It'll be the hardest I've ever worked in my life, mentally at least. So we'll have to see how that goes. If it goes well, I'll be posting here once in a while to update the world on What I'm Up To. If it does not go well, I'll probably just go silent here for a while.

I'm excited and nervous and hopeful and apprehensive. We'll see.

2 comments:

  1. You will do fine. It will be pretty intense until you get sorted out. But you have always conquered what you set your mind to do. You are exactly where God has placed you...on purpose...because He has a plan for you. And He will never leave you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm doing well and I'll write another post as soon as I get around to it.

      Delete